I predict a riot!

 Look at the colours, lots of lovely colours!

I was wondering around the haberdashery section a while ago when I stumbled across this yarn in some gorgeous colours.  It's called Patons Smootie DK and it's acrylic yarn, although you'd never know it.  It feels like a sort of bamboo/cotton blend and lives up to it's name too by being nice and soft.

It was one of those occasions, maybe you've experienced it too, where it just looked so gosh darn pretty sitting all colourful in a row that I had to have some.  So, with absolutely no idea of a project in mind, I started picking up all my favourite colours and seeing which worked together and which didn't.  To put the cherry on top of the already very desirable cake, nearly every colour seemed to go beautifully against every other.  Happy day.



Having got this delightful package home I arranged them in a pretty heap and let them sit awhile, waiting for ideas to form, take shape and grow until rich and juicy, ripe for picking.   In the end I decided they would be just right for an old idea that I had last year.  A nice, long, stripy, colourful, crescent shaped scarf with a lot of hangly, dangly bits.

I suppose fortunately, I'd always imagined this contraption to have tassels or some such trailing bits and bobs.  Fortunate because deciding to use this many colours on a knitted scarf would have been an end weaving nightmare otherwise.  Happily though, all of that unpleasantness was avoided and those flipping flapping bits of yarn were allowed to swing freely.

 

Not only did I make my life easy by leaving the ends to do their own thing, the joy of knitting these rainbow rows together was so huge.  I enjoyed myself so much and the colours themselves just fit together so easily.  So many wonderful combinations to try out, so few that wouldn't be happy neighbours if put together.  I do love it when the colour choices flow so easily.  Sometimes it can be an agonising, drawn out process and I can be stymied for ages while desperately searching for the right colour to use next.  Not this time though, this time was pure pleasure.



For the last finishing touch I decided to tie the ends into small groups to make little tassels, just to make sure nothing became loose.  What a fabulous little project it's been and how I've loved working on it.

I'm planning on getting the pattern finalised and into the shop quite soon, hopefully before Christmas.  So maybe, if you fancy it, you can have some fun with it too.  I really hope you'll get as much enjoyment out of it as I did.

















The best part is that I still have plenty of those lovely colours left so I can make something else with it.  Oh, but what should it be?


Update (23rd January 2012):  
The pattern is now available in the  Cherry Heart Boutique, you'll find it on the 'Knit' page.



S x

Comments

  1. great scarf and super fun colors make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those colours together.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great scarf and no ends to sew in! That sounds like Heaven to me!
    I love the colour combination, muted without being dull. Rather autumn-like in fact! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love this idea. The tassels of tied ends is fantastic. I am thinking afghan with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colorful experiment. It turned out amazing! I am currently making a similar scarf, but with broader stripes (like your sweater). Can´t wait to see what else you make with that delicious yarn...
    ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. ÇOK GÜZEL RENGARENK OLMUŞ..HARİKA...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your scarf - think I know what my next project might be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! LOVE the fringe on one side. Lovely in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything about this scarf!!! I'm so happy to know that you will share thev pattern soon : thank you!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy colours for a dull morning. The scarf looks really great. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty and colourful scarf! Just the right thing to lokk at and admire on a cold and grey november day like we have today here in Germany.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous scarf!its inspired me-i've been feeling a wee bit funkless when it comes to knitting as my knitting isnt that great

    after all this time of following your blog-i have only just found out that you live in bedfordshire too!=)

    wow-very small world.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh... LOVE :-)
    So pretty with all those yummy colours together. How about some matching mitts or gloves with the leftovers?
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE your latest creation! So colourful, and so up my street for that very reason :o)

    I know what you mean about the Patons Smoothie, it doesn't look like acrylic at all. I did have a good squeeze of some when I was last out shopping and thought it was yummy!

    You're sure to get lots of compliments wearing it out and about this winter. Enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, lovely result!! And yes... these colors are super in this part of the year :-) Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab scarf! I used the same yarn to crochet some of my decorations last Christmas - it is lovely to work with and has a gorgeous finish. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all the squishy goodness of this beauty! Cheery and cozy!

    Have a great weekend!

    Best,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your scarf!!!! It would chase away anyone's winter blues. I think you should make matching mittens to go with it =D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh that yarn does look gorgeous! Love what you've done with it too!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous scarf! I just need to learn to knit now. love Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's lovely, a really cheerful scarf! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A riot indeed, of the very best kind. I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great scarf - it will cheer you up on the dullest morning. And genius on tying the ends into tassles - I've done that before and the best bit is that there's no ends to weave in - yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So gorgeous. I could also imagine a lovely cushion maybe a round one

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantabulous scarf!! Now I'm not usually a scarf wearer... I fiddle with them too much... but I'm going to make an exception for this one. It's totally gorgeous. Love the shape and all those tassels. Will be watching out for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My local store stocks that wool, I've used it to make blankets for my children, it's gorgeous isn't it! The scarf is very beautiful too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful gorgeous! but is there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty and looks cosy!! Love the colors!! Happy weekend to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh this is great! I would wear this with everything. Love all the tassels and stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome scarf Sandra! Love the tassels!!!
    Carole :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love, love the colours in your scarf - they're so happy! Funnily enough, Patons Smoothie was the yarn I learned to crochet with - it was a bit thready but has the loveliest drape.

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohh I love it so much! Knitted stripes of garter stitch look so lovely, your random colours work so well together too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this. Thanks very much for the pattern, I can't wait to go yarn shopping and cast on for it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holy moly this is gorgeous!! I'm never so brave as to put so many colors together, but now I think you've inspired me. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete